Interested in learning more about our chat service? Ask a Librarian information and chat policy are available on this page.
Why use Chat? Chat provides the opportunity to connect with a reference librarian quickly and efficiently. No need to wait for an email response.
Where can I find Chat? You can chat from this page, the library help page, and the library home page. Look for the sidebar that says “Ask a Librarian.” You will also find chat widgets on select library guides.
Can I use Chat on my phone? Yes. Our Chat widget will work on your mobile device.
What questions can I ask with Chat? You can ask any library related questions on chat. The Ask-A-Librarian chat is mainly for reference questions, but we will be happy to help you with other questions, or direct you to the person who can help. If the reference librarian feels the question is too complicated or long for Chat, they may request to contact you by email or schedule a Zoom Appointment.
Ask A Librarian Chat Policy
Review the following policy statements as they pertain to Ask a Librarian chat and text.
- Ask A Librarian can help with library reference questions. Questions may involve database searching, ILL, finding books, using OhioLINK, or providing other research assistance.
- Ask A Librarian will not conduct research for users. We will provide instruction on how to begin the process and walk through the process.
- Ask A Librarian can help with general library questions. If the inquiry involves circulation or reserves, users may be directed to the main library information desk.
- Ask A Librarian chat requests users provide a name to begin a chat session; nicknames may be used and anonymous chat sessions are available.
- Ask A Librarian chat sessions are not meant to replace research appointments. If the Reference librarian feels that more in-depth help is needed, they will move the conversation to another forum.
Ashland University students using Ask A Librarian chat are expected to adhere to Ashland University Student Conduct guidelines detailed in the student handbook.
Ask A Librarian chat will not tolerate inappropriate behavior including, but not limited to, actions that are threatening, obscene, objectionable, bullying, or illegal. Chats deemed inappropriate will be immediately terminated by the chat operator. Any failure to comply with this policy may result in users being blocked from chat.
Ask A Librarian reserves the right to not answer questions that do not follow our policy guidelines.