Dr. Richard Gray
Chair, Department of Foreign Languages, Associate Professor of French
210, Center for the Humanities of Bixler Hall
203, Center for the Humanities of Bixler Hall
Center for the Humanities (Bixler Hall)
401 College Ave.
Ashland, OH 44805
Classes you may take include:
- Introduction to French Literature. Explore the literature and literary movements in France since the Middle Ages.
- Conversational French. Develop conversational fluency beyond the level of basic language classes.
Each department provides information specific to its majors and programs to help ensure you choose exactly which major is right for you. Use the supplemental material below to assist you in finding a major that most interests you.
The Department of Foreign Languages offers a B.A. in French and Spanish and a B.S.Ed. in French and Spanish that leads to teacher licensure for all levels (PreK-12).
- The four-year guarantee is available for all majors within the department. The B.A. in French or Spanish can be completed in three years.
- You can combine a major in a foreign language with a second major and still graduate in four years. With careful planning, a triple-major is possible in that time frame.
- Many of our courses fulfill core requirements (e.g. literature courses – humanities, civilization courses – social sciences).
- Through our carefully articulated language curriculum based on national standards, we help you achieve a high level of proficiency. You can present your skills to future employers with confidence, knowing that you stack up favorably against candidates across the United States.
- You will participate annually in a unique portfolio assessment process of your skills and knowledge that focuses on your individual academic growth and success.
- You'll develop real-life communication skills that allow you to express yourself and understand what the people of other cultures say and write, as well as the background underlying those forms of communication.
- All classes are taught by your professors, not by graduate students or teaching assistants, so you will experience high-quality teaching by experts who will give you individual attention.