Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
Is Ashland University's MFA in Creative Writing right for you?
This multi-track, MFA in Creative Writing program allows graduate students to pursue a creative writing degree in poetry, creative nonfiction, fiction, and science-fiction/fantasy, with the option to cross genres. This program strengthens writers’ craft in all genres and prepares graduates for a career in creative writing.
What you'll learn
For writers at all levels of skill and achievement, this MFA in Creative Writing degree stimulates and inspires your writing whether you choose to specialize in poetry, fiction, or nonfiction. Out of the many low-residency programs, the Ashland MFA Creative Writing synthesizes a built-in writing community with rigorous standards for creative output across all genres and a variety of specialized topics.
MFA candidates also have the opportunity to gain professional experience in publishing in literary magazines by editing Black Fork Review and/or working with The Ashland Poetry Press as one of our graduate publishing assistants.
Why earn your MFA in Creative Writing at Ashland?
Our program in creative writing allows students to embrace and strengthen their writing skills at the highest level. Some highlights of the Ashland MFA include:
- Degree tracks in: poetry, creative nonfiction, fiction, science-fiction/fantasy
- Cross-genre options
- Single, annual-residency model: two weeks each summer for three summers
- Four online semesters of study
- Award-winning faculty members
- Maximum of five students per course
- Writing packets exchanged four times per semester
- Ongoing, intensive online discussion of assigned books
- Paid Graduate Teaching Assistantships and pedagogy instruction
- Optional Retreat in Paris
- Editorial experience with the Black Fork Review
- Graduate Publishing Assistantships with The Ashland Poetry Press.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships
Many writers make the bulk of their income via teaching and lectureships. Ashland’s MFA Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) represents a pathway into that world through pedagogy coursework and associated supervised (paid) teaching experience.
- Opportunity to gain college-level teaching experience while earning $2,494 per course (based on 2021 supplemental contract rates)
- Potential for Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) to teach as many as 5 courses over the two years of study - must begin studies with the Summer Residency
Expert Faculty, Supportive Mentors
Our English department ensures that MFA in Creative Writing students receive instruction and guidance from expert faculty members. The MFA faculty at Ashland are active and highly acclaimed writers, as well as strong advocates of our MFA students’ work and growth. See our full list of faculty here.
Every summer, students come together during the last two weeks in July at Ashland University’s main campus for the MFA Summer Residency. The residency features writing workshops, readings, and craft classes by our core faculty as well visiting writers. For more about our summer residencies, visit www.ashland.edu/cas/master-fine-arts/summer-residency to see updates to our schedule with more craft classes, readings, and panel talks.
Get started today!
If you are looking for a creative writing program that offers highly individualized and supportive mentorship, consider Ashland University for your Creative Writing MFA. Simply fill out the Request Info form above, email email@example.com or apply now! Students are able to enter the program at the beginning of each semester, including the fall, spring, and summer.
Request information to learn more about the Ashland University MFA program!