Residence Life FAQs

Looking to answer some of your questions? Here are some commonly asked questions and their answers!

When do I need to submit my housing application?

Housing application should be submitted prior to the start of the academic year. You can create an account and find the application for housing at Students will start receiving their housing assignments starting at the beginning of July, and continuing again every two weeks till the start of the semester. The sooner you submit your application the better! Applications that are submitted sooner will give you a better chance of receiving your first choice of residence hall.

How do I request a particular person to be my roommate?

You will find a section on the housing application that has a box for preferred roommate. Make sure you type your roommates name here. In order to make sure that you and that person get placed together they will need to also put your name on their application as their preferred roommate. Please take note that individuals that are in Learning Living Communities will be placed with students that are also in their LLC. So if you request a roommate that is in an LLC or you are someone who is and your preferred roommate is not, you won’t be placed together.

I have an accessibility, medical or special need that Residence Life should know about in regard to my room assignment.

There will be a section on your housing application that you can put these requests in but you will also need to fill out the appropriate information that can be found in the Request for Housing Accomodations as well.

When will I know my room assignments and who my roommate will be?

You will receive an email from the Residence Life Office that will come to your Ashland email address by the middle of July.

When do I move in and where do I get my room key?

You will receive an email from the Residence Life Office that will come to your Ashland email address by the middle of July.

Can I see my room before I move in?

Unfortunately we can't show you the exact room, but when you come for your orientation drive-in we can show you a mock room in your hall.

How do I request a room or roommate change?

During the first two weeks and last 40% of each semester we are in what we call a room freeze. This just means that we don’t do any physical moving of rooms until this period ends. You can still submit a request and we will work with you making arrangements during the freeze. You can complete the room change request form at

What is an RA?

RA's (Resident Assistants) are trained in community development and crisis management. Their various duties focus on the development of a secure floor and hall community. Each RA is responsible for organizing social and educational floor events, being trained in conflict resolution activities, responding to crisis, serving as a referral source and assisting with the adjustment issues that face new and returning students.

What is an RLC?

RLC's (Administrator on Call) supervise RA's and oversee the day-to-day operations of residence hall facilities. They serve as Student Conduct board members for residence hall disciplinary incidents. The RLC's also assist with crisis situations and participate in an on-call duty schedule with other RLC's. As a member of the professional Residence Life staff, RLC's have an understanding and sensitivity towards the needs and interest of building a community of respect.

How do I become an RA?

RA selection materials will become available to students in October. If you are interested in learning more, attend your buildings Hall Council and/or talk to an RA or AOC.